I remember eating the most delicious Sambal Tumis Kerang on the beach of Teluk Chempedak, Kuantan. A humongous hundred year old tree hung above tables packed with people enjoying divine Nasi Lemak for breakfast with white sands of the beach as flooring. The whole environment plus the morning sea breeze added on to the flavour of the Nasi Lemak that we had. This is my recreation of the Sambal Tumis Kerang Teluk Chempedak...
2 tbsp cooking oil
a pinch of shrimp paste/belachan, roasted
1 large bulb of onion, blended
4 garlic, blended
3 heaped tbsp chilli paste
1 tbsp tamarind, diluted in 1 cup of water & drained for juice
1 tbsp coarse sugar
2 tbsp palm sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of boiled & cleaned cockels
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Sautee the onions, garlic, chilli paste & shrimp paste till fragrant.
3. Pour in the tamarind juice. Let it simmer.
4. Put in the cockles. Mix the flavours in.
5. Stir all both the sugars & salt. Taste..
6. Totally divine with Nasi Lemak!