Ingredients for glutinous rice:~
- 1 cup glutinous rice, soaked for 20 minutes & drain
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk
Ingredients for Prawn Sambal Serunding:~
- 3 tbsp oil
- 8 shallots, sliced finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 inch turmeric root, skinned & pounded till fine
- 4 red chillies, seeded & pounded finely
- 1/2 cup dried prawns, soaked in hot water till it swells & pound
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
~Method for glutinous rice~
- Steam glutinous rice for about 15 minutes in a steamer.
- Remove from steamer and place in a large clean bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Pour the warm coconut milk over the steamed rice & mix evenly.
- Shape it into compact circular discs or any desired shape while it is still hot.
- Put it aside to cool & set.
~Method for Prawn Sambal Serunding~
- In a medium-sized pan, heat oil. Sautee' the onions, garlic & turmeric root.
- When limp, put in the pounded prawns. Cook till fragrant.
- Add in the grated coconut & stir till well combined.
- Flavor with salt & sugar.
- Continue cooking until desired dryness is achieved.
- Sprinkle over or coat the shaped glutinous rice with Prawn Sambal Serunding.