Over a year ago, a lovely lady Hazizah Baba, shared this recipe with me, which belongs to her mother-in-law. Today, I finally tried cooking this and it turned out absolutely beautiful. My only regret is not having cooked it earlier.....
- 8 pieces chicken, marinated with salt & turmeric, then fried till half cooked
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 6 garlic, sliced
- 1 inch ginger, julienne
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup of the cream of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup thick, sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice
- 2 potatoes, cut into wedges, sprinkled with a pinch of salt & deep-fried till golden brown
- 1 red chilli, cut lengthwise
- 1 green chilli, cut lengthwise
- 1 handful, deep-fried crispy shallots
- In a pot, heat the oil on medium flame.
- Sautee' the onion, garlic & ginger. Sprinkle the cinnamon powder over.
- Put in the semi-fried chicken. Toss the chicken around to combine the flavours.
- Pour in the soy sauce & the tamarind juice.
- When the gravy begins to boil, pour in the cream of the coconut milk. Mix well.
- Put in the red & green chillies.
- The potato wedges go in next.
- Allow to simmer briefly.
- When serving, sprinkle with crispy-fried shallots.
- Perfect with white rice. Also wonderful with compressed rice/ketupat! Yummy!