During the first month of the Islamic calendar, Muharram, Muslims cook Bubur Ashura to commemorate this time of the year when people in a town in the middle east was suffering from famine one thousand four hundred years ago. Our Prophet went from house to house collecting whatever food people had in their homes, put everything in a large pot and cooked it all together, giving birth to Bubur Ashura. This porridge is primarily made of seeds and beans. I share with you my mother’s version, which I undoubtedly find delicious beyond imagination!!
Ingredients for bubur:
- ½ kg beef, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp kerisik
- ½ cup peanuts, deep fried and skinned
- ½ cup chick peas, boiled till tender
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup corn, cooked
- ½ cup lentils
- ½ cup dhal
- 1 stick carrot, cut into large cubes
- 1 sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 8 cups water
- 4 tbsp curry powder
- 8 cloves
- 8 cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 20 bulbs shallots
- 10 cloves garlic
- 3 inches ginger
- 2 eggs, made into paper thin omelettes
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced thinly
- 2 stalks chinese parsley, sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp fried crispy shallots
1. Boil the rice and beef with water until the rice begins to swell and beef tender.
2. Add all the nuts,seeds,potatoes and carrot. Continue to boil.
3. In a separate pan, heat up the ghee. Put in the spices.
4. Pour in the blended ingredients.Then add the curry powder. Sautee until it is a little dry.
5. Pour everything from the pan into the pot of boiling rice and nuts.
6. When the porridge thickens, season with salt and pepper.
7. When serving, top the omelette, chinese parsley, spring onions and fried crispy shallots.
* You may omit the kerisik if you do not want a strong coconut flavour.
* Curry powder can be exchanged with Rempah Beriani to produce a gentler, milder flavour.
* If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can omit the beef.
* The type of beans & pulses that you decide to use may be varied according to taste & availability.