Friday 24 September 2010

Spaghetti Carbonara


My kids totally love having pasta, chicken, mushrooms & definitely cream.... So, Spaghetti Carbonara fits all the right criteria to be their favourite dish!!! I actually think they can have this every day and not be bored with it! Frankly, I like to cook what they like but I'm not too keen for them to have rich food on a daily basis. So, although the original recipe calls for eggs & parmesan cheese, I omit that from the recipe everytime I cook it. I also reduce the cream & exchange the balance with low-fat milk instead.....I guess you could say it's the healthy version of Carbonara! Enjoy my version....

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
  • 1 tray oyster mushroom, sliced (or any mushroom of your choice)
  • 1 packet of spaghetti, boiled for 8 minutes or until al dente', drain
  • 1 cup of cream
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 eggs (I omit this most times when I cook this dish)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese ( I sometimes put thin slices on top of the hot pasta)

Method:

1. This pasta takes a very short time to cook, so if you have all the ingredients ready, you can begin boiling the spaghetti the moment you begin saute'ing the garlic.
2. Heat the butter & oil in a pan. Sautee' the garlic.
3. Put in the chicken Toss it around.
4. Add the mushroom. Mix it around for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the salt & pepper.
6. Put in the drained spaghetti. Mix it all together till well combined.
7. Beat the eggs, cream & milk in a bowl. Pour it gently onto the spaghetti.
8. Mix well till it coats the pasta & lightly cooked.
9. Take it off the fire to serve immediately.
10. Serve with parmesan cheese (grated or thinly sliced) & chopped parsley.

No comments:

Author

authorMarina Mustafa. Author of ten cookbooks.



Total Pageviews