My late father used to love having Terutup......The perfect balance of sourness, sweetness & spiciness is what makes this dish so wonderful to eat. The tinge of lemongrass & galangal makes this simple dish even more exotic! I love simple pleasures like this! Yummmmm......
- 2 Cencaru Fish, cleaned, rubbed with 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp turmeric powder and deep fried
- 1 cup chilli paste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste, roasted
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 lemongrass, bruised
- 2 inches galangal, bruised
- 2 tsp salt
Ingredients to blend:
- 8 shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Heat oil in a pot. Sautee' the blended ingredients till fragrant.
- Put in the shrimp paste & cili paste. Sautee' further till the oil separates.
- Pour in the tamarind juice, sugar & salt. Stir till it boils.
- Put in the slice onions & cook till limp.
- Pour the gravy over the fish & serve.