Wednesday 13 October 2010

Sardine Cooked in Tamarind Sauce


Sardine Masak Asam

Sardines from the can has always been my saviour! Whenever I'm lazy....Sardines cooked in every way possible is the answer. I'll share a little secret with you, when I was a student in Australia cooking for me & me alone.....I made Laksa Johore using sardines from a tin and it tasted perfect!
Yesterday, I allowed myself to be lazy again and asked my teenage daughter to take notes on how to cook Sardine Masak Asam. This is the first time she has cooked this dish entirely on her own, without my guidance. The whole family enjoyed it so much, I almost didn't get anything!! I'm soooo happy she's got it in her...to get the right taste!! Woohoo!!

Ingredients:-
1 can of Sardines
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 bulbs of medium sized onions, sliced
5 garlic, sliced
1 tbsp chili paste
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp tamarind paste mixed with 1/2 cup water, strain
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tomato, quartered
1 large onion, cut into rings
8 birds-eye chilies
6 belimbing buluh

~Method~
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Sautee' the onions & garlic briefly.
3. Put in the chili paste & tomato sauce.
4. Pour in the sardines & tomato gravy as well.
5. Pour in the tamarind juice.
6. Flavour with salt & sugar.
7. Add the tomatoes, birds-eye chillies, onion rings & belimbing buluh.
8 Eat straight away with rice, roti chanai, bread or cream crackers! Cream Crackers would be my choice! Yummy!







No comments:

Author

authorMarina Mustafa. Author of ten cookbooks.



Total Pageviews