I've been wanting to cook Red Velvet Cake for ages......So, it was such a joy for me when I finally did it! I gathered some recipes which I frequently cooked at Cafe Dania, improvised this and that, added this and that....and I got a pretty decent Red Velvet Cake. I am however, on a constant quest for self-improvement, so I'll definitely share with you if I manage to come up with a better recipe! Enjoy this!
- 2 1/4 cups flour , sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing sugar
1. Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Combine the milk and vinegar together.
3. Beat butter & sugar till it becomes creamy and well blended.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
5. Beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk mixture in 3 additions, beginning & ending with flour.
6. Pour in the vanilla essence and the red coloring and mix well.
7. Divide the batter into 2 greased 9" 1 1/2" high round tins.
8. Bake in a preheated 180ºC oven for about 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
9. Cool on a rack.
~Method for frosting~
1. Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
2. Put in the vanilla.
3. Add icing sugar and beat until smooth.
4. Place 1 cake layer on a platter. Spread half the frosting over the cake.
5. Top with second layer of cake. Spread with the remaining frosting.