Thursday 6 January 2011

Kicap Ayam Tomato




As a kid, I have always loved my mum's Kicap Ayam. I remember so clearly desiring it very much when I studied overseas, but not knowing the exact recipe....and I was so miserable that I experimented on several versions, trying the get the exact taste of mum's Chicken in Soy Sauce. At that point, I made a decision never to take anything for granted again. This version of Kicap Ayam using tomatoes was my favourite when we were little.

Ingredients:~

  • 8 pieces of chicken, marinated with turmeric & salt, then deep fried till 3/4 done on high flame
  • 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled, cut into 6 and deep fried
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 4 cloves
  • 4 cardamoms
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 large onion, blended
  • 4 garlic, blended
  • 1 inch ginger, blended
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup sweet soy sauce (Kipas Udang brand is my choice)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp crushed black pepper
  • 1 tomato, cut into 6 wedges
  • 1 red chili, cut in half lengthwise
  • 2 medium sized onions, cut into rings

~Method~

  1. Heat oil in a pan. Sautee' all the blended items till fragrant.
  2. Put in the cinnamon, star anise, cardamoms & cloves.
  3. Pour in the soy sauce, tomato paste and water.
  4. Add the fried chicken & potatoes. Cook till the gravy boils for about 5-8 minutes or until the meat & potatoes are cooked through.
  5. Put in the tomatoes, red chili & onions. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
  6. Add in the salt and pepper.
  7. Serve with hot white rice.

No comments:

Author

authorMarina Mustafa. Author of ten cookbooks.



Total Pageviews