- 1 piece of flank steak (part between the hips & ribs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- cotton string for tying
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
Ingredients for black pepper sauce:~
- drippings from the beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup of beef broth
- 2 tbsp cream
- a pinch of salt
- Smother the steak with salt & pepper.
- Roll it up and tie it with a cotton string.
- Alternately, you could buy the ready-tied ones sold at supermarkets.
- Heat the oil & butter in an ovenproof pan.
- Place the rolled steak on the pan over medium high heat.
- Brown for 3-4 minutes on all sides of the steak.
- Place the pan into a preheated 200ºC oven and cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Place the steak on a chopping board and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Discard the cotton string and cut the steak in 1/2 inch slices.
~To make the black pepper sauce~
- Put the pan with the beef drippings back on the stove over low fire.
- Sautee the onions till soft.
- Put in the flour and stir. Add the pepper.
- The pour beef stock very gently over the pan and stir vigorously until the gravy is smooth & shiny.
- Pour in 2 tbsp of cream and a pinch of salt.
- Simmer until sauce thickens for about 5 minutes..
- Serve over the rolled steak.