Din's college friend whom he has not met for 30 years, came from the United States and stayed with us over the weekend. I was thrilled to bits when he took over my kitchen and taught me how to make the perfect MoHinGha. You are amazing Min! Your MoHinGa is also amazing! Thank you!
Ingredients for broth:~
5 slices of Catfish
3 lemongrass, bruised
Ingredients to pound:~
6 cloves of garlic
1 inch of ginger
2 red chillies
2 bird's eye chillies
Condiments Ingredients :~
5 boiled eggs, halved
8 shallots, sliced thinly & washed
6 garlic, chopped, fried in 2 tbsp of hot oil and 1 tsp turmeric powder till golden brown & crunchy
1 bowl of crushed crunchy rice flour crispies (penderam/tempeyek)
1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
2 stalks of coriander roots, sliced thinly
8 sliced bird's eye chillies, sliced & soaked in 4 tbsp fish sauce
1 pack of Japanese rice flat noodles (boiled according to package instructions or for about 8 minutes with 1 tsp oil & 2 tsp salt)
1/4 cup oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
5 tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp of fish paste
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp rice flour diluted in 2 tbsp water
~Method for the broth~
1. Boil about 6 cups of water in a pot.
2. Put the catfish slices into the boiling water.
3. Put in the lemongrass.
4. Boil the catfish & lemongrass for about 15 - 20 minutes
5. Remove the fish from the broth. Allow it to cool.
6. Debone the fish. Put the fish aside to be cooked later.
7. Put the bones back into the broth.
8. Allow the broth to continue roll boiling on low heat until ready for use.
9. When ready for use, drain and retain the broth.
10.Throw the bones & lemongrass away.
~Method for MoHinGa gravy~
1. Heat oil in a heavy based pot. Sautee' the pounded ingredients.
2.Throw in the chopped onions. Sautee' further.
3. Put in the turmeric.
4. Add the deboned fish. Chop the fish up while it is cooking in the pot.
5. Add the paprika.
6. Pour in the reserved strained fish broth.
7. Add the fish broth.
8. Put in the shrimp paste.
9. Add the black pepper.
10 Thicken the fish broth with the rice flour mixture.
1. Put the noodle in a bowl.
2. Pour the thick catfish broth over the noodle.
3. Sprinkle with the shallots, fried chopped garlic, crunchy rice flour crispies and coriander roots.
4. Put in boiled egg in the bowl.
5. Squeeze with some lemon juice.
6. Extra amazing when eaten with bird eye's chillies in fish sauce.